Work in Sweden

Who are we?

Folktandvården, Sweden’s public dental care service, has had overall responsibility for the oral health of adults and children in Sweden for 95 years, a fact of which we are very proud. We are motivated by the desire to improve the oral health of all Swedish residents.

Nationwide, some 14,500 people work within Folktandvården across 21 regions. In Sweden, as a dental care employee you are employed by a region, although we work across these regional lines, sharing our knowledge and experience extensively. Together we strive to improve public health.
In Sweden, all dental care professions collaborate closely to offer our patients the best possible service. Our focus is on evidence-based dental care and, of course, the individual patient.

Why should you work in Sweden?

Are you curious about working in another culture? In that case, you should apply for work as a dentist in Sweden. We can offer you modern dental care with generous resources, friendly people and beautiful natural surroundings.

A normal full-time position in Sweden entails a 40-hour working week. In Sweden, all employees are entitled to 25 days of annual leave, regardless of age or form of employment. You may be entitled to additional leave depending on the applicable collective bargaining agreement and your employment contract. Annual leave is for rest and recuperation.

A general dental practitioner works in a team together with a dental nurse and cooperates with dental hygienists in the treatment of each patient.
Swedish working conditions offer job security and are regulated by law.

What is required to work in Sweden?

To work as a dentist in Sweden, you need a Swedish licence. The title of dentist is protected, and this means that only people with a licence authorised by Socialstyrelsen, Sweden’s National Board of Health and Welfare, are permitted to work as dentists.

To obtain your Swedish licence, you need to get your qualification approved by the National Board of Health and Welfare. You also need Swedish language skills equivalent to level C1. If you are a citizen of and trained in a country outside the EU/EEA, there are additional requirements for obtaining a Swedish licence. You can read more about them on the website of the National Board of Health and Welfare – follow the link on the right side of this page.

Personal identity number

A personal identity number is required to work in Sweden. You apply to Skatteverket, the Swedish tax agency, for a personal identity number, and this must be done as soon as you arrive in your new place of residence in Sweden.

How do I apply for a job as a dentist in Sweden?

For job vacancies, please visit the Folktandvården website of each region for the available positions.
Find your clinic

Apply for a licens

To work as a healthcare practitioner, you may need to obtain a licence. The prerequisites vary according to where you were educated.
Apply for your licens

Living in Sweden

An official source for facts about Sweden with for example statistics about employment in Sweden.
Living in Sweden

Your guide to working in Sweden

A collection of information from several public authorities and agencies for those who wish to go to Sweden for work or to run a business.
Guide to work in Sweden