If you are dissatisfied

If you are not satisfied with dental care you have received, you should first contact the centre or practice where the dental care was performed. If you cannot come to an agreement, you can make a complaint to the director of the clinic or practice. Failing that, contact the Dental Care Director (tandvårdsdirektören) in your local County Council.

Every County Council has a patient board known as the County Council Health and Medical Advisory Board (förtroendenämnd), which you can contact.

You can report an event or a person you have been treated by to Health and Social Care Inspectorate.


Swedish Healthcare Advisory Organisation
If you have complaints about dental care

Health and Social Care Inspectorate
Complaints regarding Health Services